Corrupting the Innocent is a term regarding an evildoer who ruined a person's innocence as means to sway them into pawns or minions.
Comparison With Acts of Destroying The Innocent
Acts of Corrupting the Innocent can be compared with acts of Destroying the Innocent as both acts ruin the innocence of a character, usually a good person or at least someone with a child-like mentality.
But whereas Destroying the Innocence is merely done as part of terrorism, demoralizing enemies/bystanders, or forcing his/her surviving victims to hate him/her and lead their lives in fear, Corrupting the Innocent is more often done for a more complex purpose: To sway a character into becoming the perpetrator's pawn and minion. More than often, these corrupted innocent people are eventually disposed of once they have failed or outlived his/her usefulness.
In either way, this act invokes great feelings of anger and hatred by the public and marks a crossing the Moral Event Horizon. Like the Moral Event Horizon, acts of destroying the innocent can also insult or disgust other villains that witness this event, particularly more sympathetic ones.
Much like acts of Destroying the Innocent, the impact on the perpetrator can result in their reputation invoking immense rage and fear in the public's heart, as this act alone may result in him becoming Pure Evil or, to a greater extent, a Master of Horror.
Forms of Corrupting the Innocent
NOTE: To differentiate between acts of Destroying the Innocent, acts of Corrupting the Innocent mainly focused on forced/pinned a character to the dark side.
Various ways an evildoer corrupt innocent people to their side are:
- Brainwashing innocent people into becoming slaves.
- Turning innocent people against each other.
- Persuading the hero to let his hatred and anger get the better of him.
- Pitting the hero against someone he/she loves.
- Training someone the wrong way (ex. taught him/her some form of spells/techniques which deemed forbidden/dangerous in the heroes/good guys' standard).
- Terry Silver from The Karate Kid, Part III: He convinces Daniel LaRusso to turn away from Mr. Miyagi and turn to him for training.
- Emperor Palpatine from Star Wars: He seduced Anakin to the Dark Side with the promise of keeping Padme safe, ultimately transforming him into Darth Vader. He also corrupted Ben Solo's mind through a puppet created by him, Snoke, which caused Ben's fall to the dark side, later becoming Kylo Ren.
- Ruby from Supernatural: She manipulated Sam Winchester into drinking Demon Blood and using his psychic powers to kill Lilith and thus free Lucifer from Hell.
- Evelyn Deavor/The Screenslaver from The Incredibles 2: She hypnotized superheroes and world leaders in hopes of preventing the government from revoking the law against supers.
- Lotso from Toy Story 3: He switches Buzz Lightyear to Demo mode, which erases his memories and causes him to turn bad, going against his friends.
- Turbo from Wreck-it Ralph: He hacks into Sugar Rush's codes, turning himself into the game's King and true ruler, turning Vanellope into a glitch and locking all of the game's inhabitants' memories of her, convincing them to turn against Vanellope.
- Yakone from The Legend of Korra: He taught his sons Bloodbending in order to get revenge on the Avatar and Republic City.
- Sideshow Bob: He hypnotizes Bart Simpson into assassinating Krusty the Clown at the final show.
- Black Hat: His company sells Flowers of Pure Foulness that turn love into disgust.
- Slade: He believed Terra had better potential as a pawn than Robin, so he uses her insecurities and desperation to control her powers to sway her against the Teen Titans.
- Freakshow: He corrupted Danny Phantom with brainwashing ability with his Crystal Ball Staff and have him performing various felonies under his bidding.
- Undergrowth: He corrupted Sam Manson into making her his daughter.
- The Omen: He manipulated Jack into believing he has failed his purpose as a samurai and attempted to have him commit seppuku.
- Aku: He corrupted Ashi after revealing that Ashi is Aku's biological daughter.
- Cartman: He manipulated Heidi Turner and stay with him and trick her into eating junk food turning her into a version of himself.
- Plankton: He has used mind control helmet on Bikini Bottomites and even King Neptune to turned them into his slave. This also resulting him become a serious threat to the ocean and beyond, considering how immense King Neptune's powers are.
- Arachnotaur: He possessed Jeff the Spider and made him take his anger out on Billy, Mandy, Grim, Velma Green, and all of the citizens of Endsville.
- Enchanted Girl: She manipulates Cassandra's emotions, by showing her past, and corrupts her mind so she will betray Rapunzel and take the moonstone for herself. Later, she also convinces Cassandra to kill Rapunzel.
- Madara Uchiha from Naruto: Destroyed Obito Uchiha's innocence by arranging Rin's death, turning him into the executor of his evil plan for years until his resurrection.
- The Raven from Princess Tutu: He corrupted Mytho and later all the townspeople with his blood.
- Dr. Eggman from Sonic X: He swayed Knuckles the Echidna against Sonic and Tails.
- Kyubey from Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Kyubey tempts girls to make contracts with him and in exchange of having any wish granted, he gives them magic gems that will allow them to transform and have magical powers so they will fight against the “witches” that are creatures that feed of misery and spread curses on humans. However, the girls find out that as soon as the contract is done, Kyubey removes their souls from their bodies puts them into the gems. As such, a magic girl has a soulless body that cannot move if it’s far away from its correspondent gem. Later, it is revealed that the “witches” are actually the magical girls that had fallen into despair and grief because the wishes Kyubey grants always have consequences that result in negative situations in their lives. Thus, Kyubey explains that eventually all magical girls will become witches and that this event releases power that can be used as energy source to the universe. Therefore, Kyubey’s job as an Incubator is to sacrifice human girls by using their emotions as energy to postpone maximum Entropy and delay the heat death of the Universe.
- Xehanort from Kingdom Hearts: He manipulates and corrupts several characters throughout the series:
- In the first game, his Heartless and Maleficent turn Riku into a Rival Turned Evil in order to use his body as a vessel for Xehanort's Heartless.
- In Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep, his original incarnation (Master Xehanort) convinces Terra that it's okay to use the power of darkness. As result, Terra is consumed by darkness, allowing Xehanort to transfer his heart from his old body to Terra's younger one, creating Terra-Xehanort.
- As Ventus previous mentor, he also tried to create a X-blade by making Ventus use his darkness to fight several Heartless. When this fails, he extracts all the darkness within Ventus's heart to create Vanitas. Later, he attempts to create the X-blade again by making Ventus fight Vanitas, and tries to convince him to do it as the only way to save his friends.
- As Terra-Xehanort, he was one of Ansem the Wise's apprentices, and was able to manipulate the other apprentices to overthrow their mentor. Because of Xehanort's influence, the apprendices have their hearts consumed by darkness, which slipt their bodies into Heartless and Nobodies.
- The Daedric Princes from Elder Scrolls: They have these abilities but the three who most use it are Sheogorath, Vaermina and Mephala. Sheogorath constantly edges others towards insanity, though those under his influence break-down emotionally not spiritually. Vaermina tries to destroy any purities she sees as she is repulsed by them in concept, leading the untouched to a state of abject wretchedness such as tempting them into cannibalism or retreating from civilization. Melphala is the most adept at this, looking for hints of fear, resentment or jealousy in otherwise happy well adjusted people and playing on those minor weak-points of personalities until they are all consuming - such as sabotaging a peace treaty and letting neighbors slaughter each-other in accusation or turning an isolated son of a Jarl into a sociopath who, one day will try to kill his father once his loneliness becomes this all-consuming isolation from humanity.
NOTE: The limit is for 20 pictures only