In any story, there comes a time when the villain or antagonist incites war, riots, fights, or other chaotic events for these reasons:
- To shatter the bonds of a family or those between the hero and someone he or she loves.
- For sadistic pleasure.
- To tear a nation apart.
- To start a war between two countries or nations.
- To take over a kingdom.
- To put the blame on someone, usually the hero.
For example, he or she can provoke someone into a terrible state or push him or her into a state that would lead to terrible events.
- Koba guns down Caesar and lies to the apes about his death so he can wage war on the humans.
- Iago gets Cassio drunk and incites a brawl, shattering the bond between him and Othello.
- In the original Mighty Joe Young, a band of criminals provoke the titular ape into a beastly rage by getting him drunk and burning his finger, causing Joe to tear down the theater.
- Mor'du shatters the bond between him and his brothers, causing his kingdom to fall into war.
- Under Ultron's command, Scarlet Witch provokes the Hulk into a raging tantrum that leads him to almost destroy an entire city.
- Francis Begbie incites a brawl by smashing a glass over a woman's head for sadistic amusement.
- Dawn Bellwether, aided by Doug, poisons predators with Night Howler serum to make them go savage, throwing Zootopia into chaos.
- Kent Mansley lies to General Rogard that the Iron Giant killed Hogarth, starting a chaotic battle.
- Mandalore the Ultimate rallies the many Mandalorian clans and leads them to war against the Galactic Republic.
- Sa'Luk starts an elephant stampede to distract the guards and invade the Sultan's palace by stabbing one in the rump with his claws.
- General Mandible deliberately sends all the soldiers more loyal to the Queen than to himself on a suicide mission to attack the termites.
- Digby Driver creates a news article about Rowf and Snitter carrying the bubonic plague, which causes the public to go into a massive panic mode and resulting in the government wanting to kill the dogs.
- Emperor Palpatine combines the First Order to the Final Order so he can regain control of the galaxy and destroy planet or rebellion that opposes him.