Much like how ordinary good guys eventually became heroes, villains themselves also have an Origin Story of how they eventually become the villains that the heroes ultimately face later on. In TV Tropes, this is called the Start of Darkness.
In order to keep their characters current, various media companies frequently rewrite the origins of their oldest characters; this goes from adding details that do not contradict earlier facts to a totally new origin which makes it seem that it is an altogether different character.
"Origin story", or pourquoi story, is also a term used in mythology. It can refer to narratives of how the world began, how creatures and plants came into existence, and why certain things in the cosmos have certain qualities.
How the characters eventually became the very villains that everyone known were varies, though some cases tend to be related with Mad Science.
Variations of Origin Story Scenarios
Each villains had various scenarios regarding how they went to the dark side, which includes:
- Being Tortured Makes You Evil Scenario: Popularized by TV Trope of the same name, this scenario revolves around how a villain comes to being as product of torture or abuse, mentally and psychically. Motivation of torture that resulting a character become evil in this way ranges from simply mere amusement to more complex and systematic one, the way a Big Bad indoctrinated his subjects.
- Rival Turned Evil: Also popularized by TV Trope of the same name, this Origin Story route revolves around how a villain comes to being as mere rival of the hero until they went bad.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Also popularized by TV Trope of the same name, this Origin Story route revolves the villain who started off as either outcast or nobody before their shocking descent into villainy.
- From Champion to Power Hungry: Origin Story route where the villain started off as either nobody or respected figure/hero who is given power and/or authority only to be consumed by it and turned evil.
- Was Once A Man: Exclusive to monsters who started off as ordinary man. May overlapping with other routes, but the consequence remained same: The character transformed into a literal monster.